Software Engineer (Innovation Lab)
Company: Consumer Reports
Posted on: November 24, 2022
Software Engineer (Innovation Lab)
US-NY-NY - US-NY-Yonkers - US-CA-San Francisco - US-DC-Washington -
US-CT-Colchester - US
CR is recruiting engineers, public interest technologists, and
entrepreneurs to develop innovative new ways of serving consumers.
You'll be joining a lean team that works openly and builds out the
earliest, most experimental part of CR's innovation pipeline. The
Full Stack Engineer within the Digital Lab team is a strong
generalist who focuses on prototyping. architecting and
bootstrapping early-stage software projects, including websites,
databases, and mobile apps. This role involves taking an
entrepreneurial approach to designing, building, and deploying new
technologies: handling a variety of architecture and coding tasks,
generating high quality developer documentation, and eventually
transferring knowledge to other contributors and teams. Under our
CRFlex program, this is eligible for remote work
How You'll Make an Impact: You'll create and ship technologies that
have a real impact on the marketplace, the law, and people's lives.
CR's work includes solutions to help consumers secure their digital
devices, help them take back control of their data, make it easier
to buy locally and save money, and more.
- You will design, develop and implement
new prototypes and apps consistent with the Digital Lab's
- You will partner with Product and Research teams to analyze
business requirements, conduct feasibility assessments, document
specifications, recommend technologies, set deliverable schedules
and determine implementation/execution approaches.
- You will contribute full-stack software engineer support, from
database to backend to frontend development.
- You will write and maintain standard code for early-stage
prototypes and MVPs of consumer facing products.
- You will implement and test software solutions using agile
software development practices.
- You will create unit tests and regression tests
- You will collaborate with contractors, contributors,
developers, business staff and other project team members to
troubleshoot issues as required.
- You will recommend and monitor standards for coding practices
throughout the Digital Lab.
- You will generate high quality developer documentation.
- You will identify returns on learning to enable continuous
reduction in time from concept to prototype.
- You will facilitate knowledge transfer to other contributors
- You will supports, troubleshoot, and maintain existing software
You'll Be Highly Rated If:
- You have a Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in
computer science or related field.
- You have 4 years of relevant work experience.
- You have a demonstrated ability to develop full-stack
prototypes and MVPs, robust GitHub profiles, and competencies in
open source software development.
- You have broad experience in software development, modern
design patterns and web technologies.
libraries, AJAX, JSON, HTML5/CSS3 and responsive design. .
- You have working knowledge of modern databases, e.g.,
- You have working knowledge of Unix environments, including
shell scripting such as Perl or Python.
- You can show evidence of rigorous thinking and strong
communication skills across various layers of abstraction, agile
tools and methodologies, including continuous deployment and rapid
- You have experience in documentation, developing and
maintaining large-scale, high-visibility systems.
- You have the ability to solve complex technical problems and
effectively communicate solutions to system architects, peers and
management. You'll Be One of Our Top Picks If:
- You have experience working in early stage or startup
- You have exposure to React and/or React Native THIS POSITION
REQUIRES YOU TO BE FULLY VACCINATED PRIOR TO YOUR START DATE Our
Commitment to Fair PayAt Consumer Reports, we are committed to
fair, transparent pay and we strive to provide competitive,
market-informed compensation. The target salary range for this
position is $126,000 to $155,000. It is anticipated that most
qualified candidates will fall near the middle of this range.
Compensation for the successful candidate will be informed by the
candidate's particular combination of knowledge, skills,
competencies, and experience. #LI-RB33
WHO WE ARE
Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization
dedicated to a fair and just marketplace for consumers. Our team is
made up of truth tellers, change agents, and consumer advocates who
investigate and build coalitions to fight for fairness and justice
in the marketplace. We leverage our evidence-based approach to
demand safer products, a healthier environment, and equitable
services for everyone.
Our mission starts with you. We offer medical benefits from that
start on your first day as a CR employee that include behavioral
health coverage and unlimited sick days. There's also generous
family planning benefits and a generous 401K match. Learn more
about how CR's advocates for strong benefits on behalf of their
Consumer Reports proudly seeks to build a richly diverse workforce
by hiring people with a diversity of thoughts, identities,
perspectives, and experiences that help advance the difference we
make for consumers, and by ensuring our people experience equity
and inclusion in their work lives. We encourage members of
traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including
women, LGBTQIA people, people of color, and people with
Keywords: Consumer Reports, Yonkers , Software Engineer (Innovation Lab), IT / Software / Systems , Yonkers, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!