Occupational Therapy Assistant
Company: Westchester Medical Center
Posted on: June 6, 2021
Job Summary: The Occupational Therapy Assistant is responsible
for assisting the professional Occupational Therapist in the
functional treatment, maintenance and supportive programs at
Westchester Medical Center, and documenting information in client
records. The Occupational Therapy Assistant assists with and
selects activities necessary to help individuals learn
life-management skills within the limits of their physical and
mental abilities. Performs related duties and responsibilities as
- Prepares patients for participation in activities to restore
maximum function, including life skills, perceptual motor
abilities, sensory function, and adjustment to disability, as
determined by professional Occupational Therapist.
- Instructs patients in activities of daily living (ADL -
dressing, grooming, bathing, self-feeding) in order to maintain or
restore functional abilities, and achieve their maximal potential
in ADL, as determined by the Occupational Therapist.
- Assists in the assessment, treatment, and implementation of
patient care in accordance with the New York State Practice
- Assists the Occupational Therapist in the evaluation of
clients' daily living skills and capacities to determine the extent
of abilities and limitations.
- Collaborates with the team to assist the Occupational Therapist
in the execution of functional, meaningful, and purposeful OT
- Assists in the determination of each patient's interests,
physical ability and mental alertness.
- Assists in the selection of appropriate activities for each
patient, with consideration for age-specific competencies and
cultural diversity in the provision of patient care.
- Performs routine occupational therapy care to assigned
- Assists the Occupational Therapist in administering formal
evaluations, and provides information from observations as
- Assists in carrying out general activity programs for
individuals or groups;
- Encourages and motivates patients to participate in
- Adheres to and adapts to client goals, objectives, and
standards of performance;
- Maintains documentation as required, according to the practice
act and the facility requirements.
- Reports information and observations to the Occupational
- Confers with the Occupational Therapist on all matters dealing
with questions, problems, and progress relating to any occupational
- Maintains safe and clean occupational therapy work environment
- Assists in the ordering of supplies.
- Assists in instructing the patient and the patient's family in
home programs as well as care and use of adaptive equipment.
- Assists with the fabrication of splints and other adaptive
equipment fitted by the
Senior/Supervising/Chief Occupational Therapist.
Education: 1-2 years in acute care experience preferred but
willing to train a new graduate.
Licenses / Certifications: Must possess certification and
current registration issued by the New York State Education
Department as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.
Apply for Transfer (current employees only)
External applicants click here to apply
External Application Confirm
Are you sure you want to continue as an EXTERNAL applicant?
Internal Application Confirm
Are you sure you want to continue as a INTERNAL applicant?
Keywords: Westchester Medical Center, Yonkers , Occupational Therapy Assistant, Other , Valhalla, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!