Company: Westchester Medical Center
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Job Summary: The Surgical Technologist performs perioperative
scrub techniques and patient care as a member of the surgical care
team under the direction of the Physician or Registered Nurse. This
position provides the surgical team with the necessary instruments,
sutures, special equipment and materials needed to perform surgery
while maintaining strict aseptic technique. Additionally, they
prepare patients, operating rooms and equipment for pending
- Performs pre-surgical scrub procedures and dons gown, gloves
and personal protective equipment (PPE) as needed.
- Gathers, checks and opens supplies and equipment needed for the
- Sets up the sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments,
supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for the
- Performs initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the
- Assists the surgical team members with gowning and
- Assists with preparing the patient for surgery, including
verification of patient/consent for surgery, skin prep, draping the
patient, establishing/securing the sterile field.
- Participates in the surgical site and patient verification
during the time out procedure.
- Prepares and anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment
and supplies for usage during the procedure.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and
supplies to surgeon during procedure.
- Measures and passes medications, hemostatic agents and
irrigation solutions utilized during the surgical procedure.
- Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the
- Sponges or suctions the operative site as directed by the
- Maintains the highest standard of sterile technique during the
- Performs instrument, sharps, and sponge counts with the
surgical technologist in the first scrub role prior to the
operation and before the incision is closed and performs additional
counts as needed.
- Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices and
secures as needed.
- Prepares and passes off specimen(s) as appropriate following
surgical services procedures.
- Assists with room turnover.
- Keeps accurate records throughout the procedure.
- Helps transport the patient to and from the operating
- Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization and
assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of
- Assists in prepping the OR for the next patient.
- Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to
ensure quality patient care and patient safety.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Experience: 1 to 2 years of surgical technologist experience in
the operating room, preferred.
Education: High school or GED required; Associate's Degree in
Operating Technology, preferred.
Licenses / Certifications: Completion of a nationally accredited
educational program for surgical technologists and possession of a
certified surgical technologist credential administered by a
nationally accredited surgical technologist credentialing
organization*; or Completion of a training program for surgical
technology in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine
Corps, Coast Guard, or Public Health Service Commissioned Corps; or
Written verification by a health care facility of employment as a
surgical technologist for a cumulative period of one year occurring
within the four years immediately prior to January 1, 2015; or A
person may be employed to practice during the twelve month period
immediately following successful completion of a surgical
technology program, but may not be continued to be employed past
that time without possession of a certified surgical technologist
credential administered by a nationally accredited surgical
technologist credentialing organization.
Apply for Transfer (current employees only)
External applicants click here to apply
External Application Confirm
Are you sure you want to continue as an EXTERNAL applicant?
Internal Application Confirm
Are you sure you want to continue as a INTERNAL applicant?
Keywords: Westchester Medical Center, Yonkers , Surgical Technologist, Other , Valhalla, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!